Tuesday 29 July 2014

How to fall asleep in the heat

Bedroom feel more like a Swedish sauna than a tranquil haven? You need these top tips from the Women's Health team - no ice facial required.

     
Woman giving herself an ice massage
© Shutterstock
                                           
1/ 'Best way to get to sleep in summer? I swear by a long run to tire myself out, followed by a cold shower. It's a shock to the system but grit your teeth, nothing gets your temperature down faster. Apologies to my housemates: that yelping coming from the bathroom was me.' - Katie Teehan, Deputy Sub-editor
2/ 'The only way I'll get any shut eye in summer is with thin sheets, the fan on full blast, windows open, little or no pyjamas, and an ice cold glass of water on my nightstand. Some might say that I go to extreme lengths to stay cool in the heat, and, well, they may be right.' - Alexia Dellner, Deputy Web Editor
3/ 'A crappy little oscillating fan perched on my bedside table and aimed straight at my face ensures a good night's slumber. Bonus: it gives me peaceful dreams about being out at sea!' - Agilene De Villa, Acting Chief Sub-editor
4/ 'I like to soak my feet in the bath in cold water while I'm washing my face in the sink – it cools me down just before I turn in for the night.' - Amy Grier, Features Editor
5/ 'My trick for a good night's sleep is a really long run in the evening followed by a quick shower and a boring book in bed. As soon as the lights are out, I'm zzzzzzz!' - Emily Murphy, Managing/Picture Editor
6/ 'My trick for a sleeping in the heat? Silk sheets and a peppermint pillow spray. Luxurious and cool.' - Farrah Storr, Editor
7/ 'Too hot to sleep? Easy. Just sleep naked.' - Anita Bhagwandas, Health and Beauty Editor
8/ 'If I have hot feet I CANNOT sleep! So I've invested in a cooling foot cream (Udderly Gorgeous Leg & Foot Treatment, £18.50 from cowshedonline.com) and my dreams have never been sweeter.' - Amelia Jean Jones, Editorial Assistant
9/ 'Just before bed, stand in the bath and hose your feet down with the shower head on the coldest setting you can bear. It instantly cools down your entire body and relieves (and cleans!) dusty sandal-worn feet.' -  Faye O'Sullivan, Deputy Art Director.

http://www.womenshealthmag.co.uk/health/sleep/1690/how-to-fall-asleep-in-the-heat/


No comments:

Post a Comment